Re: 68PCM-55

On Mon, 23 Oct 1995 HugoHH@aol.com wrote:

> Dear  Sirs:
>
>     Mr Penio Penv  told me to becacome a subsriber in order  to
> post message  in your  place.   I  sent  1  MSG.  with  one  ZIP
> file to him.  He  told  got  me, he got  the MSG.  didn't  mention
> the ZIP file.    Is  there  proto-col  needed for the ZIP  file,   I  knew
> there is no ZIP  file  in MISC.  I  am  not too  sure  in the other  tree
> directory  (  I  look  them  once ).

I have extracted the files from the .zip archive and am attaching them
here. One of the files is gzip-ped.

--
Penio Penev <Penev@pisa.Rockefeller.edu> 1-212-327-7423
---
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 08:20:39 -0400
From: HugoHH@aol.com
To: Penev@venezia
Cc: Misc@aol.com
Subject: PCMCIA  header  PC-board

MISC  Fans

After  read  most of MISC past posting,  PCMCIA  card would be  a
nice  thing to have for  MuP21  board.     I   collect  lot stuff  on the
PCMCIA ,  and play with it for quite while.  may  be I can do little
contributions to  the group,  here   attaches  a  PCMCIA  header
PC-board  lay-out  in  Postscript file,  (  68PCM-55.zip )  with  this
email,  I hope it can get through.  There  are some  doc. in there,
hope can help you.  This is first part.  the 2nd. part is on the way.
there just too much details,  I try to  put it as short as possible.
Hope don't bore you guys.  4th guy  don't  like to  write,   I am one of
them.
         Make  PC-board  is a easy  job now compare with the past. I 'll post
a  separate  just on that soon.   Since  MuP21  or  F21  is  fast
stuff,   single-sided  is  1st choice,  but  !  !.    Most  PCMCIA  on
 the market  is  double  sided-board,  I  havn't  seen  a single-sided
yet,  but  this  one  is,   not  bad  for  a   basement  job,

      This  PCMCIA  header  PC-board  got all 68 pin  out put,  MuP21
only use part of it,  I use it play with  Flash-Mem before.   Flash-mem  is
 logically  inverted  of  Eprom,  may be that is another plus  for the  "
 Century  21 "  club.    I   guess  Chuck  just  too far  ahead  again.
 Flash-mem  even  follow  his  natural  way,  May  be  we can talk  to Jeff
 go  that  route,  so program  Eprom  is not  big  issue  no more.

           from        Hugo  Hsiung     < HugoHH@.aol.com >

   PCMCIA-3.doc      68PCM-55.pst is a Postscript file for a single sided

 traced printed circuit board(1:1 ), lay-out of PCMCIA  header (all 68pin

 output). You can print it  out in a Laser printer.  You can make PC-board

 from this Laser PAPER  Print out (don't touch traces ! !). see Note 1-6.

    This is 1st part, its not only for MuP21, PCMCIA is a useful tool. Space

(1") on top is for passing traces, it reduce jumpers from 20 to less than

 5 on the ROM adapter board ( single sided also), which comes later to MSIC

 posting. It requires to match both, and need some more varify and testing.

 There are two right-angle connctors (I got them for quarter) in 1st board.

   The second part is a adapter to the 32pin ROM socket in the MuP21 board.

 Which I got recently from Offete P21A3 ver. ( I'am catchup, not F21 yet).

 For the practical purpose use of PCMCIA card, it is vertical to computer

 board, so the PCMCIA card can be pushed-in  and  REMOVEd  easily.

        The ROM Adapter:  Remove exsisting 32 pin chip.( precuation to

static charge). put chip in the 32pin ROM scoket on the adapter card,

with the vertical mounted PCMCIA socket, then put this adapter card back

to the same ROM scoket.  The adpter board is extended above and over the

P21 CPU chip. There will be some soft spacer above the P21 CPU. and under

the adapter board for physical support, as long as you don't smash it,

every thing should be peaceful. These my approach to live with the world,

hope the details are not bore you to death, and more to come.  If any

other solutions, suggestions  and let us know. By the way there is a

hardware toggle switch to switch between ROM or PCMCIA card for CPU.

 Note:  1: Use shining type paper, because there are lot of 15mil traces.

 2: Make the PC board following the POST I put on the MISC.

 3: If you don't have Laser printer ( I don't), you can  go to Kinko copy

    shop use their computer and Laser printer, and print it out for 50

    cents). use same shining paper, and make copy of ( Kodak  off-shore

    machine, 7 cents. Kinko copy machine  normally use low cost paper)

 4: 68pcm-55.pst  use 0.9 setlinewidth in postscript drive(more thread).

 5: This lay out of the PCMCIA is not only for Fujitsu. ( PN# FCN-

    565p068-G/0 1990 and others ) AMP started making in 1993. Brands

    differences only on mounting holes and thickness which is not factor

    for this patch up usage. The industrial is prety much standardized

    in hardwarewise on the 68 holes lay out, (not in SW, more thread )

    This lay out will fit 6 brands I know of. at least. ( Method

    Electronics PN# 940-121-68RA01-90 ). Because it's single header, so

    you can get away with single sided board. and I don't think you can

    on two stack header, which cost lot more. ( AMP single, PN# 53563-1

    header, 146021-1 = release part.) This also true for Hirose part which

    Jeff talk about.  Don't drill the mounting hole until you solder

    the header to the board ( Patch up proto type, not product).  If you

    not too sure, you can try out with header first ( header cost less,

    PCMCIA header and its release mechanism  are separable. CARE-ful ).

 6: The PCMCIA header 68 holes are around .032",  It requires high speed

    Carbide tip  drill, (It look like a dentist drill, get one look like

    a milling machine drill, not regular drill look, which too easy to

    break),  The Carbide tip drill I got from  surplus store or Hamfest

    in Chicago area, 2 for $1.00. ( you can afford to breke it, but not

    from Sears), I use a 10k RPM hand drill, mounts it on a Sears drill

    stands.  Then you need is patient and practice, that why I put out this

    first. (use Heating Doc Tape to mask big copper area under back part)

 7: There is a book title Design with Flash Memory. Author: Brian Dipert

    and Markus Levy, from ANA Book. talk lot about PCMCIA card.  I saw

    MISC Post, some one ask about the book, and this is one of the answer

    to it. ( also PCMCIA Developer's Guide. by M. Mori. ANA Book )

 8: I got a POQET 1meg static memory card, I used it with my  Sharp note-

    book, for two year, it can boot PC up less a sec.  this is fast boot I

    had experienced ( more thread).

68PCM-55.PST.gz