No Subject

MISC Readers-

On the subject of compilers for X21 chips...

Does anyone know if the rumored commercial C compiler is a reality?
Supposedly MPE in the UK have a C compiler for stack architectures,
but I don't know if they have been paid to do an X21 port.  I suspect,
anyway, the the cost would be beyond most MISCer's budgets.

I've done a little work porting both Small-C v2.0 and Dunfield C to X21.  Both
compilers assume a traditional register set architecture that maps poorly
onto X21.  The compiled code would be many, many times slower than
native X21 code.  It's not clear to me that having a C compiler that
produces slow X21 code is in the best interests of MISC.

However, I do have a Pascal compiler that generates stack machine code.
With a little work it could be made to emit Forth words.  With even more
work it could be made to emit X21 opcodes.  Is there any interest in a
Pascal compiler?

-Dave
lowry@src.honeywell.com
( not speaking for Honeywell, etc. )