MPE C compiler for X21

> >On the subject of compilers for X21 chips...
> >
> >Does anyone know if the rumored commercial C compiler is a reality?
> >Supposedly MPE in the UK have a C compiler for stack architectures,
> >but I don't know if they have been paid to do an X21 port.  I suspect,
> >anyway, the the cost would be beyond most MISCer's budgets.
>
> At lst that I checked it was not (last year), I did suggest that some Misc
> enthusiaste might like to do the port in exchange for royalities, but to no
> avail.
The C compiler for P21 exists in a rough version that generates code for
the simulator.  Noone has yet been prepared to pay the commercial rate
required to bring this to a production standard. This only illustrates that
bringing a new CPU chip to the market requires a great deal more than
just silicon. Apart from software tool development, there's also marketing
and distribution.
--
Stephen Pelc, sfp@mpeltd.demon.co.uk
MicroProcessor Engineering - More Real, Less Time