1-bit address space

While talking about spaces in the Hobbit thread:

I am contemplating the idea, that each memory
element should contain only one bit, (as in the early
TI processors).
I'm not against requiring natural alignment. The compiler
can generate sequences for non-aligned accesses.

Requiring natural alignment doesn't make handling
real-life IO ports with a bit pattern of say xnnnnyyz
much easier however.

Having to code 1,2,4,8,16,32,64 bit size instructions
in the instruction set also takes a lot of space...

Or should we even code 0,1,2,3,4,5,...64 bit instructions?

Groeten,
Jaap

-- Chip Directory
-- http://www.hitex.com/chipdir/ - USA California
-- http://www.eskimo.com/~cadfael/chipdir/ - USA Seattle [New!]
-- http://www.xs4all.nl/~ganswijk/chipdir/ - Europe
-- Many other international mirror sites from there...