No Subject

Dear MISC readers:

Andew asked:

>what is intended.  Am I reading the schematic wrong, or is
>it
>backwards?  I'd like to know before I build a system, else
>might destroy my MuP21 when it and the '245 fight for
>control
>of the bus.  I haven't done an exhaustive search, but I did do
>a quick check through the MISC archives and didn't notice
>anything on this topic.  Any clarification would be appreciated.
>--Andrew Sieber
>kd4jtv@bbs.wa4yse.ampr.org

I don't recall exactly how his circuit worked, but I think
he cheated on the output latch.  The part wanted a positive
going pulse while P21 provided a negative pulse but it
sort of worked by latching the wrong side of the pulse
anyway so Dr. Ting used the part.

I used different parts when I designed a substitute arrangement
for the orignal parallel i/o chip on the original development
system.  I know I showed the circuit diagram that I used one
time here in MISC.  It made more sense to me than Dr. Ting's.

It is pretty straight forward to design i/o on P21.  The pin
labeled i/o is really sram select.  The sram address space
is one place to decode memory addressed i/o.  You use the
i/o pin and some address bits and write enable to select
and decode input or output latching of the bus.

Don't worry about frying P21 it is very tough.  I have
wired up the 5V backwards and heated the chips up to well
past 100C and haven't fried a P21 yet.  I have even tried.

Jeff