Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 09:47:15 -0600
Sender: owner-higher-fire@prairienet.org
From: "Robert J. Brown" <rj@ELI.WARIAT.ORG>
To: higher-fire@prairienet.org, crossgcc@cygnus.com

MISC@pisa.rockefeller.edu, mgetty@crynwr.com
CC: rj@eli.wariat.org, jerry@eli.wariat.org

"Moby lossage" -- that's hacker -- talk see:

   http://www.pmms.cam.ac.uk/~gjm11/jargon/jargon.html

It means "a great deal has been lost!"

Due to what now looks like a mother board hardware problem, but first
looked like a memory problem, we lost the root file system Monday
night.  If you don't know what this means, I will translate: IT IS
VERY BAD.  It means you start over, from scratch, to rebuild the
system.  Since I had been rebuilding the system from scratch anyway
because of the break-in last December, I had not yet backed it all up,
since I wasn't finished with all the rebuilding.  *STUPID ME* !!!

Rebuilding the system results in a loss of my time, which is an
annoyance to me, but not too much else.  But since I had been getting
the 4 mailing list archives working again and had been capturing the
list mail on another system while we were down because of the
break-in, I had not backed up this diverted mailing list traffic.  But
I had already ftp-ed that traffic to eli.wariat.org from
junior.wariat.org and deleted it from junior, so when we lost the root
filesystem Monday evening, we lost mailing list traffic for at least
much of the period from 11-13-96 thru 1-25-97.  (11-13-96 was the date
of the last complete back-up tape before the break-in of 12-7-96.)  If
anybody has list postings for that period for any of the lists this is
message sent to, please let me know, by private email to
<rj@eli.wariat.org> how I can get a copy of it so I can fill in this
rather large gap in the mailing list archives.  Thank you!

- --
- --------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
Robert Jay Brown III  rj@eli.wariat.org  http://eli.wariat.org  1 847 705-0424
Elijah Laboratories Inc.;  37 South Greenwood Avenue;  Palatine, IL 60067-6328
- -----  M o d e l i n g   t h e   M e t h o d s   o f   t h e   M i n d  ------