MISC-d Digest V97 #5

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Arnim Littek wrote:

>Well, at 4 transistors/cell 45K of them makes 11K cells. 20 bits
>each,
>this makes 550 words.  Not much, but a small compute kernel can fit
>n there to help with intensive computations.

>t 500 mips internally, one can do 8x8 multiply/adds at 60M/sec.  Not
>ad, if you ask me.

Well you sstart getting into the PIC style micro-controller realm.
550 words or more in the case of smaller SRAM cells is quiet
sufficent for small applications like the PIC.  If ROM and Flash were
available this would make it very suitable (with the F21 specs) to be
a DSP/multi-media Micro Stamp.
---------------------------

Lonnie Reed wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has plans to build a java virtual machine, on
the mup21, or more likely the i32 processor platform. it seems that if
it could run java applications, on a settop box (iTV), that it would have
a ready-made software source. and would enable people who do not own
computers to have access to current software, on an inexpensive, though
powerful system. I understand that some apps would not be suitable since
television resolution is limited, but these seem to be surmountable.
maybe packing 2 pixels in 'vga 640x480' resolution to display at 320x240 or
320x420 on a tv. this could be in addition to its native software.

lonnie

Yes this should happen (I said should) it would be very benefical
given a software base to run immediately (no Forth experience
required), but I don't know of anybody doing it though Java-> Forth
was talked about on the forth newsgroup ages ago.

TV systems are naturally limited in vertical resoulation because of
the PAL/NTSC systems to effectively 240 (NTSC) vertically without
interlacing.  As I understand web pages ussually are 640*480 (well at
least according to HP's WIN CE blurb), so it should be possible.
What will happen with the higher horizontal detail is that the
increased detail will blend into the lower resoluation signals (426H
for NTSC, depending on the bandwidth around 540-640 for PAL,
and around the same for MAC).  If however you have S-VHS or RGB SCART
on the back of your TV you may get higher horizontal resolutions.

Wayne.

Moving shortly.

 - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - End of MISC-d Digest V97 Issue #5