MISC-d Digest V97 #9

From: jfox@dnai.com (Jeff Fox)

Dear MISC readers:

[snip]

Sorry I missed one of the questions...

>From: houghtoa@oclc.org (Houghton,Andrew)

>Has Chuck given any thought to providing a RAMBUS interface to memory
>on his chips?

Yes he has considered this and other memory options.  He has been pretty
conservative in his concern about which memories will be avialable and
at what price when the chips he designs will be in production.  He had
some concern about designing for designs that get hype if he is not
convinced that they will actually be available and cheap when a cpu
design is finished.  These things are hard to predict.

One memory option I beleive is very good is the NeoMagic concept.
***********************************

They produce a SVGA chip with 1mb internal memory on a seperate die
going out to a PCI bus.  I have asked them for information (they were
reluctant to say anything) and asked if the design was available for
another design to be inserted (P32 being my intention) of course the
reaction was no.  Mitishbitu (whatever) has a Risc design with 1 mb
memory onboard, the chip is going Java and will include multimedia
functions. These two designs offer possibilities.  I have also found
out the internal bandwidth of the Neomagic chip (it came up in an
article) 400Mb/s at a 128-bit bus width, oh well 100mhz op anyway at
32-bits (hey thats not to bad).

Wayne.
************************************

From: lowry@htc.honeywell.com (Dave Lowry)

I think Jeff Fox deserves some public thanks for the *free* P21 support
he's giving on this mailing list.

As far as I know he doesn't make a nickel from P21 sales, and has only
the satisfaction of paying for F21 fab runs out-of-pocket as renumeration.
:-)

Yes, thanks Jeff, you have been doing a marvelous job.

I wish we heard more from Mr Ting.

-Dave