Re: MISC video spec (640x480 ?)

> Using a higher frequency clock will permit increasing spatial resolution,
> but would not produced correct color modulation.  So my understanding is
> now that the 384x482 is the highest NTSC type resolution that P21 can
> generate with color modulation.

Could   the increased frequency of the a 3.84Mhz*2 signal be
"doctored" to produce a more fine  grained 3.84Mhz colour phase rsolution?

This is the same sport of suggestion I was thinking about when I was
talking about  doctoring the video signal to modulate sound onto it.

If we' re  going to get onto the subject of "just add a sound chip"
(as happened last time) then we would get  much better results on
those lines if we just added a video chip.  Further  still why not
just get an Arm 7xxxx series  all in one chip that does the lot, if
that was the case.

Still I have  a practicle suggestion, if Jeff is thinking of
interfacing extra chips to the  F21.  The Neograph (www.neograph.com)
magic graph chip offers an 32-bit Vesa local  bus interface, 1 M-byte
on chip  dram and S-VGA chip ll in one.  Using  the on chip dram as
main memory it  should be possible to produce  an two chip computer
(pluss logic), I was actually thinking of using it on the P32 myself,
but it hasn't adventuated.

Further still to the chips from Silicon Graphics,  Phase 5
(www.phase5.de, or something) in Germany is producing a next
generation type Amiga (Abox), the heart chipset is  a 128-bit device  that
people think will  compete with the 02 graphics wise  (but we shall
wait and see),  they are talking about a lower bus width version
becoming aavailable that might suit a P32 etc.  Otherwise some of the
  new "Amiga's" haave processor card slots.

Next  on the hit list is that Microsoft has apparently donee
something really cool.  They have invented a 3-D graphics standard
caalled Talsiman.  The claim looks like 1.5-2 million pixels per second
on a $300-$500 doller card.  The  interesting thing is that the
diagram  that I saw has a proceessor on it called the Media
processor.  About three years ago a thing called the Media proceessor
was being devolped by Microunity,  Microsoft is a major investor.
The processor wacked 10 million transitors in the same space as the
Pentium with the same feature size.  It had ghz clocks and mutiple
processors and the price tag was aimed at mass consumer electronics.

Frustrtingly, about the Talisman, is that the basic info I read on
how it archives it's extra performance is  along simular lines to an  idea I
had the week  before.

So there  are a few good ones for you Jeff, for the F21,32 or 64.

> iTV is experimenting with different video designs, modulations, encoding,
> and video coprocessor instruction sets.  It is not clear what designs will
> be selected in the future, but unquestionably there will be higher
> spatial and color resolutions supported.

Thats a releif, you worried some of us last year  when information
was posted about getting the programs to work at the 384  resolution
:)

Jeff your a Gem.

Thanks.

Wayne.