Re: Speculation on ARM licensed by DRAM companies

On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, WMOR1 wrote:

> I ran accross this today in the Arm microprocessor group, thought it
> maybe of interest.

It _is_ of interest. I've just revived by Novix 4000 board, and got some
ARM Forth listings as I contemplate porting them to my Newton 130. It
appears ARM has a good architecture to do Forth with.

> Wayne.
>
> torbenm@diku.dk (Torben AEgidius Mogensen) wrote:
> >With Hyundai as the newest licensee of ARM, there are now a number of
> >the largest DRAM manufacturers that have licensed ARM cores. This
> >leads me to speculate on whether we in the future will see DRAM with
> >integrated ARM cores. About a year ago I read a paper (I think it was
> >in Computer Architecture News and entitled "Breaking the Memory Wall"
> >or something similar) that speculated that it may be a good idea to
> >put a simple RISC core on a DRAM chip. The arguments were:

Anybody noticed the avent of DSPs with large (1-4 MBit) on-die SRAMs?
I am referring particularly to ADSP-21061 & family, and TI's C6x chip.
Notice that the latter features a 256 bit broad on-die bus and VLIW, a
point I have been talking about for years.

> >DRAM technology is typically as dense (or moreso) than typical CPU
> >technology, the difference being mainly that fewer layers are

DRAM can do more: >1 Gbit densities are available in the lab for years.
With defect-tolerance (defect marking), such densities should be
achievable in the industrial reality.

> >available. But a suitably simple RISC design can be build to run
> >reasonably fast even with this limitation. The authors (being from
> >Sun) suggested a simplified Sparc core, but ARM seems like an obvious
> >possibility. When the CPU is on the same chip as the DRAM, a lot of
> >the time (and power) required to drive the signals across a bus is
> >avoided, so you can get far lower latencies than with similar DRAM

Yeah, the difference between a DRAM and an SRAM cell may matter
significantly less if we are talking of on-die accesses and tiny geometries.

> >technology on separate chips. The line buffers in the DRAM can easily
> >be modified to work as cache for the CPU. With 128Mb and 256Mb DRAM
> >coming shortly, this would be enough for small systems, e.g. NCs, PDAs
> >or game consoles. Even with smaller DRAMS, it would be ideal for
> >embedded systems.

This is wrong. The point is to make the dies small enough, so defect hits
achieve just a tolerable 50% on one wafer. Using redundant wiring on the
wafer, the resulting WSI computer would still be fully functional (i.e.
100% wafer yield). This eliminates a lot of additional processes and
tests, making the product cheaper. Since resulting fine-grained maspar
systems feature ~1 MBit grains, this may mean a revival for Forth.

It won't happen, of course. Forth has sunk beneath the perception
threshold of the mainstream. Forth society membership numbers have been
shrinking in Germany.

> >This type of applications is exactly what ARM is mostly used for, so
> >it seems like an obvious development. However, it would require a
> >redesign of the ARM core to DRAM technology, something which the
> >present licenses (AFAIK) do not cover. A license similar to the one
> >DEC got to develop StrongARM would fit the bill, though.

The MISC core would be ideal for that, but I guess we just can't clone
Chuck. How's the set top box is progressing, btw? Java based NCs being
delayed, this could mean a true chance for it (I keep my fingers crossed).

I am also looking forward to the F21. But notice how much has occured
interim, especially the advent of Beowulfs, and 1 Gbit ethernet. Mass
production makes even inefficient monster hardware ridiculously cheap, a
large handicap for MISC.

ciao,
'gene

|mailto:ui22204@sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de |transhumanism >H, cryonics,         |