Re: MISC-d Digest V97 #28

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Jeff Fox wrote:

Thank you for your iTV update, Jeff. Things have been pretty quiet lately.
> Dear MISC readers:
> [...]
> iTV is negociating with companies that can provide access to even
> smaller and more sophisticated fabrication processes that would
> provide more speed and access to large amounts of on chip memory.
> As people have noted here before the on chip memory is needed to
> make full use of the CPU and coprocessor speed on these chips.

xref core on die: Analog's ADSP-21061 (esp. 62 and 63). Their
price/performance ratio looks especially interesting.

Concerning Beowulfs: current Pentium clones can be had for few 10 $, last
time I looked MuP21 sold for roughly $40. Motherboards cost next to
nothing, and the rest of the components (RAM, HD, etc) are also needed for
F21 nodes. L3/L4 microkernel, a message-passing microkernal with Linux
personality fits in 12 kBytes (i.e. in K6's cache). Beowulf nodes don't
run X, it is just needed for visualization on one machine. There's lots
of MPI scientific software, which can be ported to Beowulf by just one
"make". This code requires good float performance, which F21 can't do.

Don't get me wrong, I still go for the F21. But it just doesn't compete
with the Beowulf, a different type of a beast entirely. (While Beowulfs
offer one order of magnitude better price/performance ratio as sci
supercomputers, a SuperDSP box can top that by another order of
magnitude. However, beware of the Merced, which will be a C6x clone, and
run at 0.5-1 GHz).

Eugene

|mailto:ui22204@sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de |transhumanism >H, cryonics,         |
|mailto:Eugene.Leitl@uni-muenchen.de    |nanotechnology, etc. etc.           |