Re: MISC-d Digest V97 #33

> Date sent:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 00:41:28 -0700 (PDT)
> From:           jfox@dnai.com (Jeff Fox)
> To:             MISC
> Subject:        Re: MISC-d Digest V97 #33

> Dear MISC readers,
>
> Wayne wrote:
>
> >Hi guys I thought I'd submit this, as an idea instead of the Dev board
> >1Mb Rom.
> >
> >http://www.m-sys.com/doc2000.htm
> >>       DiskOnChip  2000
> >>
> >>          * 2-24 MByte capacity (future capacities: 48, 72, 144
> >>            MByte and up)
> >>          * Simple, easy to use interface
> >>          * 32-pin DIP JEDEC standard EPROM/FLASH compatible
>
> There are nice things about the part.  It looks like an 8K byte
> FLASH device with a bank select command.  So the EPROM/FLASH socket
> would not have to change at all.  The software would require a
> small change to allow paging through the 8K pages in order to
> boot or access the FLASH.  The software would not have to change
> for any device size since they will just mean more pages are
> available.
>
> The 2M device is $50 however and the 12M is $196.  However since
> development system do not have to be as cheap as production units
> the part might be a nice option for boards.

Compared to the price of Fash Cards this is not to bad.

> > I might get some for experimentation.

It would be good option (if you could make it available), making the
Dev board suitable for more developement and applications.  As it's
8k you could have so much of the Rom code in their and use the rest
of the decoding for PCMIA cards (1015k with the last 8K over written
by the rom (if I'm reading you correctly).

Bye.

Wayne.

Wayne Morellini  <wmor1@student.monash.edu.au>

Post Graduate Student Representative.
Rusden Campus, Deakin University, Vic, Australia.

GradDip Media Studies (Current), Bach InfoTech (Distinction)
& AD Business(Computing).