Re: MISC-d Digest V97 #35

> Date sent:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 11:53:04 -0700 (PDT)
> From:           jfox@dnai.com (Jeff Fox)
> To:             MISC
> Subject:        Re: MISC-d Digest V97 #35

> >From: Christophe Lavarenne <Christophe.Lavarenne@inria.fr>
> >Subject: hardware stacks

> >From: Mark Tillotson <markt@ctf.com>
> >Subject: Videotape of SV FIG meeting
> >
> >Thanks to Jeff for the update. If there is a videotape the FIG meeting,
> >I would also buy a copy.
>
> Sorry, no video tape this time.  Perhaps I will arrange an interview
> with Chuck where I can ask him some leading questions and tape his
> answers.  Sort of like the one I did up on the mountain a few years
> ago.  I was told that I captured Chuck's presentation very well even
> if I did miss a little here and there by people who were there.

Is this available.

> >From: Mark Tillotson <markt@ctf.com>
> >Subject: i21 in Sanyo TV?
>
> >While searching for news on iTV, I noticed (on a Price Waterhouse page)
> >that iTV has gotten a second round of funding from Sanyo. I also see that
> >Sanyo is making internet enabled TV's:
> >http://www.sanyo.co.jp/koho/hypertext4-eng/9609news-e/0909int.html
> >I wonder then, is this where  we will see the first i21 based products, or is
> >iTV's Pegasus still on track?  Is a product release date in sight?  Are any
> >comments allowed? ;-)
>
> no comment, yes, but no comment on the "or", yes, soon, yes, some. ;-)

Aahh mmm O.K. no, yes and maybe :)

> >From: "Houghton,Andrew" <houghtoa@oclc.org>
> >Subject: RE: Color Forth
>
> >   I agree, Chuck is missing something important.  Having worked
> >with someone, for the past ten years,
> >   who is color blind -- a programming language which relies on
> >color is just plainly a bad idea.
>
> Font selection or some other visually distinguishable feature could
> be used for color blind Forth.  :-)  The idea is that Chuck is
> experimenting with new ways to simply his Forth.
>
> Chuck likes large Fonts.  He couldn't fit "OVER OVER OVER OVER OVER OVER"
> on one line in OKAD, not ever close.  I think small fonts are about as
> good for Chuck as colors for a color blind person.
>
> But more importantly perhaps recognizing the shape of a font, or the
> color of a font is done by a different collection or parts in your
> nervous system than recognition of symbols.  It is difficult to really
> know what effect that would have on visualization and understanding
> of the programming ideas being expressed.
>
> >they face.  The biggest challenge this
> >   person is facing now in this Web enabled world is visiting
> >vendors Web sites, to obtain programming
> >   information, which don't provide enough contrast between their
> >color schemes thus making the pages
> >   unreadable to the person.
>
> I can imagine.  I am not one, but many people prefer text only browsers.
> Perhaps they are more useful for some.  It sounds like they might be
> for people with this problem.  Or perhaps the OS or browser could allow
> color substitutions for ones that would be recognizable.
>
> I have often noted that some people like looking at color settings on
> their machines that I could not look at for five minutes!

I have a freind behind me that does this, I'll ask her ;), well no
she can see all her colours perfectly fine, but mind you she had a
less glarry light blue feild background with dark text (not purple
today) and bright yellow high lighting selection ;)

I understand that only one in a million is truely blind to all
colours and the others have problems with distinguishing and may have
red green or blue receptors dropped out.  Becuase they still can see
colour (and hence get a head ace because they are not the
colours we see) colour forth would have to be in one colour with
different font's for them.  But this gets down to the piont if we go
for 100% sense stimulia, it is not going to work for a significant
portion in a number of different ways because so many of us aren't
perfect.  A usefull subset (as in simplying Forth) would be very
usefull.

Wayne.

Wayne Morellini  <wmor1@student.monash.edu.au>

Post Graduate Student Representative.
Rusden Campus, Deakin University, Vic, Australia.

GradDip Media Studies (Current), Bach InfoTech (Distinction)
& AD Business(Computing).