Re: intro

Dear Sean, dear MISCers,

> I apologize if I'm barging in on discussions that I have no knowledge of
> ..   I subscribed to the MISC mailing list because I have a strong
> interest in a drive to make more efficient software instead of buying
> heftier hardware.  Is anyone else here? Do I have to have a CS degree to
> follow along?
You might or not be interested in my Tunes project (see my .sig below).

As in any domain, what counts most is motivation.
Of course, though the degree itself is not much,
something that DOES help is the fact of being able to freely study
for several years in a proper environment,
with a varsity library, insightful teachers, and fellow students.
You sure CAN learn the same (and more) outside of such an environment,
but it's harder and demands more motivation.

As for MISC itself, I fear that people at iTV are overworked:
they try to do too much with too small funds, i.e. developing
a new chip design, a new micro-electronic implementation technology,
a new OS, new language, new compilers, new libraries, new documentation,
new interface, new everything. They're reinventing computing from almost
scratch, with low-level tools and little resources (seems to me
that they are far below the point where non-linearity effects prevent
progress by spending more ressources, but I'm too far away to be sure).
I hope they succeed, but it's too bad we can't see usable results at reach.

[well, I admit the same happens to my Tunes project, too,
though it tackles higher-level concerns :(
However the fact that too little funds are invested in Tunes is much clearer:
there are none]

Best regards,

== Faré -=- (FR) François-René Rideau -=- (VN) Уng-Vû Bân -=- rideau@ens.fr ==
Join a project for a free reflective computing system! | 6 rue Augustin Thierry
TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System.               | 75019 PARIS     FRANCE
http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/ -=- Reflection&Cybernethics ==