Re: Re: Re: intro

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, KC5TJA wrote:

> The problem is, the whole concept of a "cpu" is patented under U.S. Law.

When dealing with the law, one should be extremely careful, since the
wording matters a lot.  It is generally best if one consulted with a lawyer
before making judgments as to what the law is.

Short of that, the law is on the web, and the patent law is pretty
straightforward.  A good starting point is www.uspto.gov, as well as
patent.womplex.ibm.com .

> I'm not sure when the patent was placed into effect; but the patent should
> be released shortly; patents only last 17 years, then the idea is placed
> in the public domain... :)

Under U.S. Law, I've been told, neither a "concept" , nor an "idea" is
patentable.  What is patentable is a pretty well described in the law
itself and it takes less than half an hour to familiarize oneself with
that.

I truly hope that this forum will non become a substitute for
soc.culture.us.law.intellectual-property. though :-)

--
Penio Penev <Penev@pisa.Rockefeller.edu> 1-212-327-7423