Fwd: Re: Re: Re: intro

>> The problem is, the whole concept of a "cpu" is patented under U.S.
Law.

Home brew is not considered patent infringement.  Educational and
not-for-profit activity usually falls under acceptable use.  You have to
start making money from someone's patented invention before they will
want to sue you.  It's civil law, not criminal law.  The closest
comparison is real estate.  If you start growing and selling tomatoes on
your neighbor's front lawn, you should pay him a portion of your profits
or expect him to sue you.

>When dealing with the law, one should be extremely careful, since the
>wording matters a lot.  It is generally best if one consulted with a
lawyer
>before making judgments as to what the law is.

If you have what you think may be a patentable invention, find a good
patent lawyer.  If you are just curious, you don't want to have to pay a
retainer.

>Short of that, the law is on the web, and the patent law is pretty
>straightforward.  A good starting point is www.uspto.gov, as well as
>patent.womplex.ibm.com .

Good idea.  If anyone is interested, I'll email them URL's with lots of
helpful info.

>> I'm not sure when the patent was placed into effect; but the patent
should
>> be released shortly; patents only last 17 years, then the idea is
placed
>> in the public domain... :)

yep.  unless it was filed after june 1995.  in that case, it would have
a term of 20 years starting with the date of filing.  Patents are
useless, however, if the owner stops paying the maintenence fees.

>Under U.S. Law, I've been told, neither a "concept" , nor an "idea" is
>patentable.  What is patentable is a pretty well described in the law
>itself and it takes less than half an hour to familiarize oneself with
>that.

Ideas are inventions.   Some inventions are patentable.  Usually
manipulative methods, compositions of matter and machines are the only
inventions which can be patented.

>I truly hope that this forum will non become a substitute for
>soc.culture.us.law.intellectual-property. though :-)

I agree.  I Let's talk more about creating circuits with laser printers.