Re: Electronic Optic Chip breakthrough report

>Hi,
>
>>"Raphael Tsu, an electrical engineering professor and Qi Zhang, a
>>postdoctoral fellow, say they've successfully linked electronic and
>>optical technology on the same silicon chip"
>>
>>Both live and work at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte
>>(UNCC) and say, their discovery could make chips 100.000 times faster.
>>They further say, that a lot of unsuccessful experiments tried this
>>before, but they have now made it. The money comes from the Naval
>>Research and Army Research Office.
>>
>>The thing was reported by GMSV on 16 September 12:55
>>(http://www.sjmercury.com) and further reading is to be found in
>>SCIENCE-magazine.
>>
>>Frank
>
>Does anyone know more about this?
>
>Greetings,
>Jaap

Hiya,

I've been working on a fully optical chip design, I did not realise there
were others in the field doing so. I've managed some decent results a la
kitchen sink, lack of funds makes it hard work to get any good progress.
The principles work ok with a low light source, currently a salvaged led
from an old bit of kit (the extra pennies for a packet of pasta is what
did it!)
I tried the mixed mode silicon-optical road but it's a half way house,
the only reason I would apply it is when you need to drive external
equipment such as a printer or serial interface.

Luis.

--
Luis Commins
Tech Services Manager