Re: oversampling

> All modern CD players have 1-bit D/A converters.  The key word is
> oversampling (with analog low-pass filtering at the end).

I'm sorry, but you cannot use a 1-bit A/D converter for this application.
The cost of the circuitry and software development time would make it
completely unworthy of design for high throughput and error-free
operation.

Besides, you have different requirements for signal input than signal
output.  A 1-bit D/A converter is NEVER used in commercial-grade
telecommunications equipment, and for good reason.

> As to the A/D, remember that the spectrum of the phone signal is band
> limited.  So oversampling is again the key word.

Irrelavent -- you need something that is sensitive enough to detect phase
errors and similar effects of long-haul audio transmission.  :)  I don't
care how much you over-sample; you still need resolution!

> And the beast, packaged and delivered is $85.  Not $50.

Still more affordable than a WebTV... :D  Will it support FORTH applets?
:)

> Penio Penev <Penev@pisa.Rockefeller.edu> 1-212-327-7423

	Samuel A. Falvo II
	KC5TJA/6, Tech +, 146.730MHz

:)  Sorry... had to be done... :D  *grin*

                            -| TEAM DOLPHIN |-
                    Chief Architect and Project Founder
                       (web page under construction)

                 PGP 5.0 Public Key Available Upon Request.