Re: Re: MISC-d Digest V98 #28

garyl@nvmedia.com,World writes:
>     I would like to get some feedback from this group on a subject that
>interests me at the moment. I would like to see F21's be used in a
>multiprocessor version of a multitasking operating system. Although
>initially this would seem harder to do than the current open source
>system I consider as the model - the Linux system on an X86 single
>processor - it seems that by placing system tasks in separate F21's
>would result in a more modular high level design.

That's an interest I've had for some time as well.  In my spare time, I am
attempting to write an operating system.  But, I've had setbacks because I
can't decide which processor to design around initially, and so I keep
switching from PowerPC to x86 to PowerPC to x86...  I would really be
interested in getting some F21's or similar MISC chip and try to build a
system either using all F21's, or using a PowerPC core, with F21's handling
various functions.  Something where the PowerPC would be "master control" and
handle the delegation of tasks to different F21's.  The way I would kind of
like to see it is to be able to add and remove MISC chips at will, as easily
as adding and removing RAM.

Dan