Big WEB TV CRT display problems

Hi:    MISC    fan.    Hope  you  receive  this  post.   8-25-1998
Date:  Aug  1988           From: HugoHH@aol.com ( Hugo Hsiung )

Subject:   Big WEB TV CRT,  Bigger the Dispaly Problems.

The WEB TV seems face new changes quickly as time goes by, as every one
knows. The TV screen gets bigger and bigger recently, over 30" is consider
not big no more.  1 or 2 years ago, it was over $1000, now less $200 to
$300, price drop like DRAM.  TV CRT size go to 50" may be 60" now. price
not low yet, as it goes now, these price may come down like DRAM too.
As these changes coming by, one simple fact is normal PC 14" or 17" CRT 24
line-text appear look " funny " on the 32" or 37" bigger TV screen. Recently,
I returned 4 different products of this type, range from  $100 to  $400.
In fact price  dosen't rflect product quality any way.  I wonder if it is a
moving target topic for WEB TV to catch on.  For ASCII text, even it look
funny, unpleasant ( readable) but appears better than other languages, like
Chinese, Japenese, Korean. They become a long strip instead readable infor.
It would be worsen for Arabic style languages too. Just wonder other audence
have same experience.      May be there are other  altrnative solutions to
thess sort of problems.

        As world ( or U.S. ) aged population get more and more, these bigger
TV CRT becomes more attractive to them.  The market pressure is there. If
these dispaly problem can be outleted. The econ. reward is not to be small.

            Another common thing among those units is that, they all
sensitive to tempreature,  like the  P21, when  they  heats up, every
one of them doing something different,  some them change screen size,
some become bigger,  some become smaller. If use Window, pretty soon
you can't not use Mouse any more,  because the Icon is out side CRT.
I guess they all try to use software  to compensate like the P21, but
real world is out smart than what software can do.  Most of them doesn't
draw much power, between 5w to 10w. with  enclosed plastic case, It gets
pretty hot on the case after short while. Actually all you needs is open
a slit on the case, and stand upright, and creat a "chimmy" fact, you'll
suprise how much it will cool it off. That what is I do with the external
USR 56k X2 modem, and LAP TOP battery  charger ( > 20w).

        I read this NGS quite bit, may be missed this topic before, hope I
didn't repeat it.  Gets you  bored with same  topics.