Re: MISC personal computers

dirnfir wrote:

> Why not?  I mean, a MISC-based PC would be cheaper, require less memory and
> hard disk space.  Due to lack of bloatware, it would be faster and crash
> less too.  Of course there is that whole "doesn't-use-C" business, but that
> could be solved by the use of Open Source.

You'd face at least four formidable barriers in trying to penetrate the
mass market:

1) The huge existing investment in applications and data
2) The huge existing investment in learning how to use these
applications
3) The huge existing investment in manufacturing and marketing
infrastructure
4) Fear of the unknown

You might overcome these to some extent in two ways:

1) Provide PC emulation software so that people don't have to throw out
their existing applications and data
2) Start with well-defined niches and move out from there.

Best wishes,

Lloyd R. Prentice
Prentice Associates Incorporated