Re: my opinion on some MISC mail list topics for the record

Jeff Fox wrote:

> Chuck's approach was to first get his cad system working and then
> produce lots of custom designs really fast since he is incredibly
> productive with his tools.

Great, I am working on a new concept, Once I have a spec, I'll send it along. :)

> He has said that converting F21 to F32 is about a one day job, he has
> done it before.

Hmm, If he's that fast then he should make a F64 and give it to the Freedom CPU
project... =P

> The real factors are things like that adding one more pin to the F21 design
> would have cost me $40,000 in prototype fab costs alone.

:(((((((((

> I would like to add some RAM and ROM to F21.  I would like to keep the
> silicon cost down at $1 and just have the I/O and power pins like P8.
> I would like it to be the size of a printed character and be manufactured
> for $1  If it doesn't happen it will be for the same reason that I have
> fasted for half the time the last few months.  It is not a technical issue!

:| Suckey... That (computer in a package) is the EGGZACKT SAME CONCEPT, as my
concept for the NC1 that I may have mailed you about earlier. The World's first
the Molecular computer. All you need to do is design the thing and I'll have the
Nanocomputer dream team fab it. Heck, I'll fab it myself! =) The entire thing
will probably fit in 2 microns cubed! (linking it to the outside shouldn't be a
problem.)

> quantum tunneling transistors

:) Yep, That's what I'm thinking of...

> When we take advantage of Forth and the basic operation of the I/O
> coprocessors we do things like throw in a GUI that takes a few K
> instead of a few megabytes.  By making it 1000 times smaller and simpler
> it does a lot of things 1000 times faster.

Where is the source to this? that is damn small! :P
I vaguely remember reedin something about that on the webpage... How is it on
power?

> I have learned to not hit the mouse button to often on my Pentium.

Yep, Mine crashes if you hit the middle mouse button twice within 5 seconds...

> I have learned that with Windows 95 and a 120mhz Pentium the system
> will just appear dead a lot of the time when it is doing stuff
> in the Wintel way.

how much ram? I have 3.11 and it overthrashes too much... Linux is better but
far too complicated to be useable much less usefull. Anyway I get by at 100mhz
happily...

>I have learned that task switches happen and
> can take as long as twenty seconds on my machine.

8 secs max here...

> Things like video and Radar and optical fibers look fast to most computers but
> they look slow on the inside of our chips, even in .8u technology!  If
> we had a .15 micron, or diamond instead of silicon it really gets scarry.

how about 3 nanometer?

--
"I thought a Universal Turing Machine was a spaceship."
        -My Computer Orgainization prof.

atc.peon.net/~cyborg/