Moore on Forth Engines, Volume 16, September 1992

I've just now been reading  More on Forth Engines    Volume 16,
September 1992, so I only just now know that my path
needs to divert away from the ususal EE work desinging chips with
Cadence software on UNIX, and turn to using OKAD.  It's a sobering
thought.  Now I want to make chips that sing, on boards that hum,
in boxes that are integrated with the tool/appliance they power
to vibrate, move, and see.

I never knew I was desinging chips before...thought I was designing
them...

John Griessen    CIBOLO Metal Works
http://www.aus-etc.com/~cibolo/

Thanks Gary, for all the notes on the MUP21.  I will use them.
JG

  In the october papers - an internal Micro Soft document - it is stated
that
  one of the ways Micro Soft will try to get rid of small developers is
to make
  standards more complex. The one that they mention is making HTTP
standard much more
  complex. I think that they will miss part of a growing market - what I
would call
  the appliance market. A good F21 design could use the a/d channel as
an input to a
  30 megaherz digital scope with display, numerous software modes and
output to
  a pc using tcp/ip to serial or ethernet connector. This design could
be portable
  and also used in a shop with a pc. Another design could do a portable
function     generator. What I think Micro Soft is missing is a pattern
that showed up at the
  turn of the century. When steam power and early large electric motors
were first
  put into factories there was one large shaft that supplied all
equipment through
  numerous belts. Later when motors became cheap, each unit had it's own
motor and
  maintenance, installation, and retooling all became easier. With the
F21 it will
  be possible to have appliance computers cheap enough to do scopes, web
browsers,
  time managers, house controllers, security systems, sound and video
controllers and
  many others all connected by cable or infared or rf networks. Right
now Micro Soft
  products use a unreliable plug and play and a very complex registry -
people who     can configure MS networks and computers are having to
take MSCE courses and are      making more money than a typical
installer because of the complexity just like the
  early electric motor days.
                             May the future be simpler!
                               Gary Lawrence