Re: MISC-d Digest V99 #18

MISC-d-request@pisa.rockefeller.edu wrote:

> MISC-d Digest                           Volume 99 : Issue 18
>
> Today's Topics:
>          f21 pcb or computer at UT
>          Playing with inner interpreters
>          Re: Playing with inner interpreters
>          Re: f21 pcb or computer at UT

> Subject: f21 pcb or computer at UT
> Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 18:58:35 -0400 (EST)
> From: jfox@UltraTechnology.com (Jeff Fox)
> To: MISC
>
> Dear MISC readers:
>
> Is there anyone in the list with experience at and ability to
> get PCB for testing F21?
>
> Three people volunteered to make boards.  However they didn't want to
> design test boards.  They always did their boards the same way and
> they knew the application that they wanted.  Their boards would
> work if all the things on the chip worked and all the firmware
> for the F21 and all the peripheral PIC chips all worked together
> perfectly the first time.  Unless everything was perfect and you
> made no mistakes in the design or firmware programming the boards
> would work the first time.  They would be useless for
> incremental testing step by step which had never been done.
>
> I was also concerned that not only would none of these designs for
> finished application level products work the first time on untested
> chips, but even if they did they would limit testing to the tiniest
> percentage of what needed to be tested.
>
> I could not understand why people would want to tie up or 10 multi-
> megahertz general purpose I/O lines to talk to a PIC to do 9600 baud.
> I could not understand why no one wanted to test any of the F21's
> capability but rather design products to use 10% of it that could
> only work if everything was perfect.  I just assumed that they felt
> it would be less work if we just skipped the testing phase and
> went right into their application.
>
> I did however eventually just say, ok, ignore the stuff I have
> published about what I want in a test board, ignore the diagrams
> that I posted and the outlines in html and pdf and do the board
> you want.  (when it doesn't work I can still cut the traces to
> all the application circuitry on the board and test the chips.)
> But I never heard back from anyone about any progress on their
> boards.
>
> Chuck says that wire wrapping is about a 1 day job.  All you need
> is some sockets, some components, memories, wire, tools, etc.
> Sounds simple except when you are waiting to sell the first chip
> to be able to buy a meal.
>
> It appears that I will soon have sold a chip and can now afford to
> have a pcb done.  My idea of a test board is small, simple and
> good for testing.  Small size, short traces, clean, and jumpers
> for optional stuff and headers.  I layed one out and stared wire
> wrapping but ran out of wire, solder, gas money, food, phone etc.
>
> I liked the idea of a small clean board with a P21 socket inside
> of the surface mount f21 socket so either chip could be used.  I
> [...]
  Tuesday night about 9pm Denver time I sent 6 vacation units - $60.00
by mail in a money order  to Ultra technology. I would urge anyone else
who wishes to see this
 technology not disappear make a similar reponse. I also would consider
doing a wire
 wrap prototype board if I could find the right sockets. My experiance
in wirewrap
 is mostly from the early eighties - working with 6502 chips. I would
need a schematic
 and would need to study the chip pinout and recieve email for Jeff Fox
on what pins need to be brought out for testing. I have a friend who
does pcb board layout - but I
 donot think he would be interested. I would suggest someone close by
who has more current experience, but if no one else is available email
me. I very much regret not
 sending money any sooner but I had to wait for a monthly check.
    I very much hope to see the F21 fully developed and hope the future
is much brighter
 for Jeff Fox .
			Best regards Gary Lawrence