RE: VLSI CAD was Re: Unified Forth

Thanks for more on low fat computer design outside the usual
large team structure, Jeff.  I'm looking forward
to getting a MUP21 board, and possibly working with you on testing
boards for the F21 chips.  I did not get a reply yet, but I did not mention
my PCB board design offer on the list so you may not
have seen it.  I'll send copies to jfox@ricochet.net.

John Griessen
Austin TX

.
.
.
> Chuck has said that adding more transistors can't make things faster
> because it just adds more gate delays.  I know if you add a bunch more
> transistors serially it does get slower and you have to use pipelines
> and caches and branch prediction and other very expensive techniques
> to regain the lost speed.  Whether he is talking about transistors or
> code Chuck would say that what you take out is more important than
> what you put in.
>
> > I'm not the first person to note the irony that iTV has VLSI
> designers using
> > VHDL and/or Verilog.
.
.
.
> According to Chuck the conventional tools have added almost nothing to
> the project other than perceived credibility to some investors and
> partners.

.
.
. I do like the idea of a simple program like the game
> Rocky's Boot with a print FPGA button that could be given away.
>
> I always liked the hands on interactive nature of Forth.  When working
> with a real Forth system there is a sense of doing something simple
> like playing with blocks.  I find playing with the circuits and
> simulations
> in OKAD very much like that.  .
.
.