Re: next generation PlayStation

Maybe I wasn't too clear....In comparison with the 4 NICs, abviously slower, but that's big, and more costly, compared to one simple FireWire interface, I should've said 'fast for it's form factor'?....

As for the apendectomy: You didn't mention any anaesthetic.... :-)

Luis.

>>> Eugene Leitl <eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de> 10/06/99 21:33:51 >>>

I would say that FireWire is slow. I can have 800 MBps with 4
FastEthernet NICs in full-duplex and channel bonding, about the same
with a 1 GBit Ethernet NIC. I certainly can't serve that much via PCI.

Unless FireWire is switched, I'd get 6 MBps/node with 63 nodes,
which I call slow. Once again, I don't know FireWire's latency, but I
can do about 20 us on DEC Tulip.

Luis Commins writes:
 > I wouldn't say FireWire is slow....400Mbit/s!! Faster than USB2
 > even. Self powered and very long cable lengths possible.
 > If you want to compare it with the latest SCSI developments I'd
 > consider that another issue, SCSI is bulky, even the thin
 > connectors are big for small projects.
 > I suppose for the speed thrill you could go optical.

SCSI is a crawling abomination, especially latency-wise. There is IP
over SCSI out there, but I'd rather do a self apendectomy with broken
toothpicks.