Re: [HM] Mathematical proofs. Some esoteric aspects.

Ed Lowry, ESLOWRY/0005387775@mcimail.com, wrote on 14 Jan 2000:

> Prof. Alexander A. Zenkin wrote, Jan10 :
>> John Conway [HM]-wrote (1 Dec 1999, in particular):
>>> I am doing some philosophical work on the process of mathematical
>>> proof, and as a result I am looking for historical examples of
>>> mathematicians talking about how they went about discovering or proving
>>> particular mathematical results.
>>> Let me immodestly report on one of my own.

ESL:
> In a similar spirit of immodesty I can recount that in 1957 I
> found a mathematical equivalence between a family of surfaces in
> four dimensions and the electromagnetic field of a classical
> charged particle as given by the Maxwell theory. The resulting
> picture (on my website) may express the essence of a fundamental
> physical theory better than any other image. Further developing the
> method of finding it has been my main preoccupation since.  [...]

Immodestly trumping the set of all possible claims to immodesty:
http://mentifex.netpedia.net/
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/mind4th.html
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/acm.html
ACM Sigplan Notices 33(12):25-31 (December 1998) "Mind.Forth:
Thoughts on Artificial Intelligence and Forth"

Arthur T. Murray
Seattle WA USA
    mentifex@scn.org
    http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/