Re: MISC-d Digest V00 #15

From: Eugene Leitl <eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>

>http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/99aug/19990829.html
:)

Eugene, I've just had an idea.  Would it be possible to make a Linux
compatability extension to BEOS.  Normally I would advocate that OS's
complement there limited resources by having a Windows compatabilty Box, but
maybe it is time to start thinking about a Linux compatability box?

Wayne.

From: "vic plichota" <atsvap@cgo.wave.ca>

>REDMOND, WA.  In a surprise announcement today, Microsoft President
>Steve
<snip>

Good one ;)

From: "vic plichota" <atsvap@cgo.wave.ca>

-> Things like the DVD decoding hack might be a problem.
-> They could even restrict distibution under patent law,
-> so companies like Red Hat could face problems
-> if some of the free code violates patents.

-But by then the cat will be out of the bag, and the spec's freely
-available for private non-commercial [underground] use...

Yes but business do a lot of the Linux distribution, and the patent holders
have a right to restrict it.  It may not be happening yet but it will
happen.  People work on things and have a right to profit from them, and big
business can use this as a grounds of attack.

-:-)   - vic