Re: F21 Market

This makes good sense Don. It is not quite the same thing, but I was
surprised to find that the ARM (Acorn RISC machine) is embedded in so
many custom chips. The Acorn Archimedes was never a great commercial
success - it was ahead of its time and suffered from being the product of a
small company with the usual British level of financial backing. It is good to
see the design get the (belated) recognition it deserves.

Perhaps lone chip designer could take a leaf out of the pop song writer's
handbook. Very few songs ever get to number 1 and make a lot of money,
but boy must the people who penned the memorable tunes used in TV ads
have healthy bank balances!

On 31 Mar 2000, at 13:10, Don Golding wrote:

> To Jeff and Chuck,
>
> A piece of advice from someone who has been around this block before:
>
>     1) Stop trying to go faster, make what you currently have reliable
> (lower the clock speed if you have too) so you can sell something.
>     2) Don't try to be all things to all people, you will never get a
> product to market that way.
>     3) Don't chase new good ideas, sell what you have first.
>
> If you could supply a reliable Forth Processor for embedded systems with I/O
> and your ADC and DAC stuff, I think that would sell.
>
> Don Golding

        Regards,
            Graeme

 Graeme Dunbar
 School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
 The Robert Gordon University
 Schoolhill, Aberdeen AB10 1FR, Scotland, U.K.
 Tel. +44 1224 262415
 Fax  +44 1224 262444
 email  g.r.a.dunbar@rgu.ac.uk
 www    http://www.eee.rgu.ac.uk/staff/esgrad/