RE: F21 docs, + an administrative question

Dear MISC readers:

Vic wrote:

>> I have noted some complaints in this list about the F21 docs.
>> I think the criticism is unjustified.
>
>What is wrong with asking for a correct pinout, and something
>resembling a timing diagram?

Nothing is wrong for asking for technical information.  And of course
a pinout and timing diagrams are available at the UT site for the UT chip.
Since Offete does not have a site you can't go to an Offete site to get
a pinout of the Offete chip.  One might complain that Intel doesn't provide
a free spec sheet for P21 nor does Motorola or AMD.  Not only that AMD
doesn't provide free data sheets for Intel's Pentium chips at their site!
It would just be silly to repeatedly ask Intel for spec sheets on the MuP21
and then complain that they didn't have them at their web site.

>If UTI wants to sell this silicon, then
>I think that it behooves 'em to publish, or perish.

UltraTechnology does not sell Offete Enterprises's chip!  I don't know
how many times I can say it.  Why not criticise Intel for not giving free
spec sheets for P21?

>If I am out of
>date wrt the state of F21 doc, it is because no-one directed my
>attention to the correct URL.

The thread had been about the fact that Offete does not have website
with a datasheet with pinout and electrical characteristics for P21.
Someone entered in a cross thread that the UT site had lots of good
information including pinouts etc for the UT chip but that site was
not perfect.  The problem was not that there were not specs at the
UT site for the UT.  The problem was someone was looking at the
UT site and upset that the information they wanted about Offete's
MuP21 was not there. Instead of asking Offete for specs on their
chip they were complaining that they couldn't get proper support
from UT for the Offete chip!

>I do not fault creativity, and frankly I approve of
>flying-in-the-face-of-the-establishment, but selling a component
>req's hard engineering data before a system-builder can specify it
>with any confidence (as opposed to a hobby or leap of faith).

As far as I know three people have made P21 boards, perhaps more.
Dr. Ting, Penio, and Brooks have done boards that I have seen or
heard about.  Dr. Ting produced the data sheets.  Brooks got them
before the chip was done.  Penio got them with P21 chips from Offete.
These are the people to talk to about P21 board design. ;-)

I provided free tools for hobbiest to play with P21 but am not selling
Ting's chips at my web site.  I also doubt if my publishing a pinout
on Ting's chip would have made a big difference.  Only three people
that I know of in six years have made boardsd to run the chips themselves.
They were very well informed before they got the decision to make a board.

> I have found the doc adequate to design this chip
> on a board including software.

cool.  What are your plans for P21 Vic?

Jeff Fox