Re: Chucks address WAS f21 docs

At 09:03 PM 6/11/2000 -0700, M. Simon wrote:
>At 06:13 AM 6/11/00 -0700, Cyan Cernwnos wrote:
>> > Chuck introduced the bus with
>> > half the bits positive and half the bits negative.
>>
>>I don't understand. Why would an efficient
>>incrementing system invert every other bit?
>
>Fewer transistors.

...in the carry-chain. He uses a ripple-carry adder, with a little
carry look-ahead that balances speed against the gate count.
His idea saves an inverter delay per bit, noticeable at 20 bits,
especially since his clock cycle is less than 20 inverter delays!

It takes a while to get used to, both as a programmer and as a
logic-analyser user debugging the thing. But we've talked about
adding inverters at the chip edge (in/out) that would make the
whole issue moot.

-John