home .. forth .. machineforth mail list archive ..

[MachineForth] Chuck's 25x and IBM's Blue Gene

> Von: Michael A. Losh <forthist@xxxxxxxx>

> In the current issue of Wired (July 2001), there is an article about
IBM's
> Blue Gene machine,
[...]

IBM's a great company, i have stocks! They do amazing research.
Didn't know about the BlueGene, though. Nice name.

> his chips can do to a bare minimum... 'we found an amazing thing... all
we
> ever saw used were the same 50 or 60 or 70 instructions' [in program
traces
> of other IBM chips]".

Huh, pretty amazing every time it's rediscovered, isn't it? ;-)

All this looks very much like what the transputers were about.

Probably IBM builds it with 27 copper layers on stretched silicon,
using black hole quantum points for the interconnection, and one
chip is delivered for 100000 $, you get an atomic force microscope as
a bonus, while Chuck tries to sell it for 1 $ but finds noone who's
interested except for a chinese speaking doll manufacturer... and the
press will go berzerk about the BlueGene. Maybe good for my IBM
stock...

Dirk