home .. forth .. nosc mail list archive ..

[NOSC] Chuck Moore website and new Forth chips

> Rick Hohensee wrote:
>
> > 60000 MIPS might be too hard to believe.
>
> It is impressive for a $1 chip.  The MIPS numbers for
> one Pentium sized or wafer sized will be harder for
> people to believe.  The MIPS numbers for a Pentium
> sized version in .1u or smaller would be harder
> for people to believe.
>
> Many people didn't believe that 100MIPS in 1.2u
> was possible or that 500MIPS in .8u was possible
> after it was done it was pretty obvious that
> they didn't care either.  I try not to be
> concerned about the people who can't belive
> it or don't care.
>
> > It might be an easier sell to talk about a
> > one-cycle process-switch.
>
> Have you tried to sell the idea?  Has there been

No, but it's a transparent drop-in to existing stuff on the scale of
things under discussion here.

> serious interest in a super fast task switching
> processor with a 0.4ns task switch?

> > 25 task processors. I don't know if
> > routing that is easier or harder though.
>
> A 25 way bus arbitration unit would be more
> complex that what Chuck is doing and would
> keep 24 of 25 processors shut down at any
> given time.  Given that Chuck has gone to

I assume the only-one-active aspect.

> dynamic logic processors would lose all their
> contents if shut down for very long.  So
> instead of 4% throughput it would be a tiny bit
> lower due to the extra overhead to keep all
> shut down processors alive waiting for a task
> switch.

Throughput is 100% of "keep the pins busy" and 4% of "keep the silicon
busy", has lower current draw? , lower exotherm? , and I don't think
you'll get near 100% utilization of 25 engines. Clustering might scale
close to that. SMP doesn't.

> > Make it 32 bit, with two 18 bit cache SRAMs,
>
> Twice the number of pins and some multiple of the
> development cost of course.
>
> > put it on a PCI card, call it a multimedia board,
> > and don't tell them it doesn't need the x86.
>
> Making a product that used a new chip is
> completely different thing than desiging or
> making the chip.  That can require orders of
> magnitude higher budgets.  Who or what company
> is that you are suggesting should develop this
> PCI card product with the 32 bit chip? What
> do you think would be a good PC application
> for the product to target?  I certainly could
> be done and it might be a good idea.

I dono.  :o)

Rick Hohensee