home .. forth .. nosc mail list archive ..

[colorforth] New to ColorForth

--- Steve Taylor <staylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My thanks to Terry Loveall and Kristofer Johnson for the patches that have
> made ColorForth run on my computers.  One is a Dell and I'm not sure of the
> make of the other motherboard but it now runs.  My question now is, what do
> I do next.  I can put numbers on the stack and do simple operations and I
> can bring up the editor and move around.  I am missing the next step.  If I
> type even simple words like "drop, or, and" all I get is "?".  I tried "24
> load" and nothing seemed to happen and the words were still not loaded.  Is
> there a word such as "words" to list the dictionary?  How do I load blocks
> of code?

I have a lot of "stupid questions" myself.  Rather than cluttering the mailing
list with some of these newbie and tutorial issues, I'd suggest that beginners
use my wiki pages at http://sleepless-night.com/wiki/ColorForth.  Maybe we can
all create a tutorial together.

To attempt some answers to your questions:

- To load block 64 (for example), type "64 load".

- Most words like DROP, DUP, OR, etc. are defined as macros, meaning that they
cannot be directly executed but only run inside a definition.  You can define
them as forth words: one of the blocks (28 or 30 or somewhere in there) has
some examples.

-- Kris