[ColorForth] reinventing the internet?

Jeff Fox said:
> If UDP works so well on video for instance, why
> is the more complex protocol required so often
> for things that seem less demanding to me?

Depends on what you mean by "demanding".

The primary reason for using UDP for video is that the data has a
really short useful lifespan. Losing video data isn't important because
there's another frame arriving shortly after this one; it makes more
sense to toss a frame with a missing data than try to recover the
lost data.

Most applications are more interested in ensuring that all of the data
actually arrives at the destination. In a file transfer, you can't toss
a chunk of the file just because it was lost in the network. In a
video application, a data loss just means a short glitch in the
picture.
--
Roger Ivie
ivie@xxxxxxxxxx