[colorforth] New mailing list for chat

Hello Mark,

Please do not stop posting code such as the JPEG
source that you wrote.  Having a change to read
actual working code is the main reason I subscribed
to this list.  What you've done so far is important
for several reasons.  1) Many ColorForth users
including Chuck Moore actually WANT a JPEG
encoder/decoder.  He has this listed on his
"colorForth projects" page.  He also as TCP/IP
listed.  (He thinks it can be done in 3 screens).
And UDP/IP/Ethernet is at the top of the list.
Noticeably absent is "come up with a new
lossless compression algorithm" or "come up
with a replacement for TCP/IP."  2) Your work
further validates the fact that colorForth can
allow people to implement know algorithms
efficiently.  Some people try to claim that
Chuck's results are simply from "changing the
problem".  That's not true.  Sometimes he may
change the problem.  Other times he attacks the
problem in a different way.  You seemed
disappointed that your code took 7 blocks.
But Chuck's BMP demo took 4 screens.  Considering
the fact that the JPEG algorithm is far more
sophisticated than BMP I don't think you did
bad at all.  3) It's useful code for someone
trying to actually learn colorforth.  Even
if I were inclined to write a new lossless
graphics compression algorithm from scratch
(which I am not) I would want to see how a
similair problem was solved in colorforth.

There are a lot of other "philisophical" things
I could say, but I'll leave that for the other
list.  I will say this much.  There is no
reason why this has to be an "either or"
scenario.  If there are colorForther's that
want to design their own network protocol
or graphics formats they should go right ahead.
Those of us who want build tools such as
USB, TCP/IP, GIF, JPEG, PPP ect. should
go right ahead.  People who have a good
idea, an actual plan to implement it, and
the dedication to do it will get accomplish
their goal regardless of who they can convince
to go along.  Just look at colorForth and
OKAD II.

Regards,

John M. Drake