Re: [colorforth] ColorFORTH probable FAQ / Welcome!

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Michael M. Butler wrote:

> I know people must have asked this, and I know that "it's not Chuck's problem", but I wanted to know if
> there is a list of machines/configs that seem to work. Every machine I've tried doesn't seem to do the job.
> When I say "config" I mean mobo mfr & model, floppy drive brand (and version?), video card mfr & model, and
> relevant BIOS settings--any other details would be nice (what mouse connection, what keyboard connection,
> etc.).
>
> My main machine is a K6-2 on a Tyan Trinity 100 motherboard, with 1/5 a gig of RAM. Neither that nor the
> old Sharp 33 Mhz 486 DX laptop from Sharp seem to boot all the way. "Maybe it's your hairspray or
> something."
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike

Mike, Tim here.

The two main causes of the this seem to be floppy related or
video related. If the problem is floppy related than the video code
doesn't even get a chance to try. there are some tips as far as telling
how far it is booting and some fixes.

have you tried distinguising between being able to save
or not this is a good first step and is documented on
http://wwww.colorforth.com/trouble.htm

There are cheap good video cards that work.
I haven't heard of problems outside these issues.

Said in other terms if you can do a save to floppy,
and feel that that goes well. and are prepared to buy a video card
you can probably be up easily. There are some other releases that
could work directly, or with little modification.
but this usually takes more time.

As an example this card is cheap and works well as far as I know
with colorforth.

Matrox  G450
vendor  102B
device  0525