RE: [colorforth] abort

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, [iso-8859-1] Fréderic DUBOIS wrote:

> > styles which make
> > errors impossible and the proofs of their correctness. I
> > think it possible
> > to develop such a style in colorForth, if hasn't already been done.
> >

> Proovability on programs seriously restricts your possibilities as a
> programmer. You cannot cut corners and that's definitely not the colorForth
> style.

I'm not sure that is true. Provability involves writing a specification
and proving the program meets the specification. It is an open technique
and can be applied to any existing program. Programmers already reason
about correctness of their programs, proofing is just a more rigorus
approach.

> About errors I like to recall a simple statistical fact: the less you type,
> the less the probability of typos and bugs.
> If such a thing is possible, it must be done at design level, and this leads
> us to the 'right by design' concept/ideal.

I'm not sure what is meant by design. Specification is one half of
provability. Provability is an apealing concept to me, yet it may be too
much work to put into practice or may be redundant effort in many cases.

Mark