Re: [colorforth] forth taxonomy

Bottom posted-

----- Original Message -----
From: "Samuel Falvo" <falvosa@xxxxxxxxx>

> > At SV FIG we are working on a way to broadcast presentations via VNC
> > (Freeware) which sends out a live copy of the presenters screen and
audio
> > too.  It is still experiential but maybe Chuck could use it after we
test it
> > more.  Is there more interest here?
>
> Absolutely.  I'm quite familiar with VNC.  VNC is wholesale inadequate for
> real-time video broadcast, though -- it just doesn't have enough
compression.
> It's much better to use a streaming format, like MPEG4.  Unless you create
> VNC server and client with streaming video compression capabilities as an
> enhancement.  And I am *definitely* interested in that!!
>
> But it's not the same as actually being there.  I suspect that meeting
> participants linger after the actual formal meeting.  Sometimes, the
things you
> learn post-meeting is as important as the things you learn in-meeting.
>
> Still, we're long overdue for another Fireside chat!!  :)
>
> --
> Samuel A. Falvo II

I agree with your comment, but  - It looks like I was not clear enough.  I
am not experimenting with real time video broadcasting, in the sense of a
video camera image.

what I have successfully done is send out a real time copy of the computer
screen that Chuck shows to the audience at the SV FIG meeting along with his
audio comments describing what he is showing us, and what he is typing in.
Usually these presentations do not involve very many updates to the screen
unless one executes a Forth word like WORD.

The remaining problem is that to send out the audio to multiple
viewer-listeners has not succeeded very well.  We have used Yahoo! chat mode
but the audio was some what choppy and some times it gets dropped, so I am
using the POTS for now (Plain old telephone system).  Commercial  companies
purchase time from an 800 number conference call provider but there is a
cost to that, so we are still experimenting.  So you can see the screen and
hear the speaker, but you can not see the speaker, but we are in the same
boat there as we usually are in a semi darkened room when we use the LCD
projector to show the presenter's computer screen on the big screen.

That problem goes away when we use a remote presenter and a speaker phone in
the meeting along with a LDC projector and a pull down movie screen.

So it is of interest to SV FIG so we can have better and more varied
presentations that are not limited by where the presenter lives and how long
it would take to fly down here to the valley.  Long range it will be of
interest to people who can not make it to the meeting for the same reason
but who want to see the screen and hear the voice of the of the presenter.

What do you think now? and I do appreciate your comments.  Did you know you
can use a web browser to view a VNC server application?

John A. Peters
Win32Forth Librarian
Win32forth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
japeters1939 on Yahoo! Instant Msg.