Re: [colorforth] forth taxonomy

"John A. Peters" wrote:
> At SV FIG we are working on a way to broadcast
> presentations via VNC (Freeware) which sends
> out a live copy of the presenters screen and
> audio too.

> It is still experiential but maybe Chuck could
> use it after we test it more.

It runs under Chuck's colorforth? ;-)

An audio/video broadcast from colorforth to
colorforth would be nice too.  I think most
of the tools are now available. Some buffering
would be good especially on poor connections.

> Is there more interest here?

Is VNC restricted to MS Windows implementations?
If so, which ones?

MPEG would be an interesting step from JPEG and
make colorforth even more colorful.

> > Absolutely.  I'm quite familiar with VNC.
> > VNC is wholesale inadequate for
> > real-time video broadcast, though -- it just doesn't
> > have enough compression.
> > It's much better to use a streaming format,
> > like MPEG4.  Unless you create a
> > VNC server and client with streaming video
> > compression capabilities as an
> > enhancement.  And I am *definitely* interested in that!!

Me too.

> what I have successfully done is send out a real time
> copy of the computer screen that Chuck shows to the
> audience at the SV FIG meeting along with his
> audio comments describing what he is showing us, and
> what he is typing in.

To do that you would have to capture the video signal
from his machine and I don't think you are using an
external video signal like the projector does.  I suspect
the software in question adds a layer of code between
the screen driver in windows and the screen driver of
other windows machines that updates screen data going
to the windows display.  It is not a BIOS update or
special machine right, just software?  (That has not
been ported to Chuck's colorforth?)

> Usually these presentations do not involve very
> many updates to the screen unless one executes
> a Forth word like WORD.
>
> The remaining problem is that to send out the audio to multiple
> viewer-listeners has not succeeded very well.  We have used
> Yahoo! chat mode but the audio was some what choppy and some
> times it gets dropped, so I am  using the POTS for now (Plain
> old telephone system).

Yahoo servers can be very heavily loaded.

> Long range it will be of
> interest to people who can not make it to the
> meeting for the same reason
> but who want to see the screen and hear the voice
> of the of the presenter.

> What do you think now? and I do appreciate your comments.
> Did you know you can use a web browser to view a VNC
> server application?

Moving jpeg and audio formats are supported by most
browsers directly.  Is that what VNC uses or does it
require helper apps for some other formats?  Do you
know?

With colorforths in standalone-floppy, DOS, Linux/X,
and Windows versions hopefully -some- colorforth
might run (on top of) VNC.  That should be tried
too.

Best Wishes,
Jeff Fox