Re: [colorforth] General Colorforth Help

On Thursday 11 December 2003 01:06 pm, Roman Pavlyuk \(personal\) wrote:
> I wonder why noone tries to switch into graphical mode in real mode
> using int 10h, then map A000:0000 into some protected mode address and
> get rid of those problems. I do not have time to do it myself, but I
> can give pieces of old (circa) 286 PM code which works with video
> (text mode only, much has been stuff lost since then).

Because you need an operating system to do it.  First, you need to
establish a set of page tables, turn on paging, then you need code to
respond to various page faults to emulate a flat frame buffer.  It's
doable, but the software overhead would not make it a happy experience.

Finally, it's usually also true that not all video modes available by a
chip set are available via the ISA video memory window.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II