[colorforth] FML

Hello,

I'll just cut an paste from the chat log with Chuck Moore, the
full chatlog at http://www.ultratechnology.com/chatlog.htm .

<chipChuck> I see a Forth Markup Language supplementing HTML
<chipChuck> That defines a subnet of users that can read it
<chipChuck> FML is like colorForth - words with tags
<chipChuck> More compact, more efficient, more flexible
<chipChuck> Eliminates the need for Java

<geakazoid> Will FML have programmable tag sets like XML?
<geakazoid> What work has been done on FML? Is it a
            project that is being programmed?
<chipChuck> Absolutely. Programmable tags
<chipChuck> As in Forth, tags defined in terms of previously
            defined tags
<chipChuck> Something I sorely miss in HTML
<chipChuck> FML is vaporware, from my perspective
<chipChuck> What it needs is several people who use it to
            communicate and thereby evolve it

<chipChuck> One more comment
<chipChuck> An FML tag has a distinct color. It is a word that is
            executed by the editor

<chipChuck> When I get TCP and PPP coded, I'll work on a browser
<chipChuck> That browser will translate HTML into FML
<chipChuck> colorForth will interpret the FML to display pages
<chipChuck> When FML is adequate, it can be posted directly and
            avoid translation
<chipChuck> For example, the purple word  P  could mean the HTML
            tag <p>
<chipChuck> And so forth
<chipChuck> Simple translation
<chipChuck> Perhaps 2x compression from Huffman coding
<chipChuck> And elimination of those interminable <s and >s
<chipChuck> And the resulting spelling errors

*Howerd* Chuck: Is there any difference between FML and
         a remotely executed Forth program?
* chipChuck thinking
<chipChuck> FML would be a restricted subset for security
<chipChuck> But it's not remotely executed
<chipChuck> You've downloaded the source and executed it locally
<chipChuck> One advantage of a colorForth-enabled web would be
            ease of sharing code

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Luis wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I for one am very interested in having CF as a user system. I suppose
> it would be simple enough to strip off the docs once they became
> unnecessary or depending upon space constraints.
> What is FML? Shouldn't we at least have a widely used format to enable
> easy translation to other current documentation formats? Does FML
> fulfill criteria that makes it more appropriate to CF? Is FML being
> created with translation in mind?

My thought, at least for communication with the outside world, is that you
could write a web server in colorForth that would serve HTML web pages
from FML documents. Or else you could do a static translation and host on
a Unix server.