Re: [colorforth] FML

Hi Albert,

[snip]

> If I interpret this correctly, new versions of colorforth come
> forth from Chuck Moore as a binary image?
Yes, and assembler files, but other people have made modifications, and
supply their own versions.
There are ports from MASM ( which Chuck used ) to NASM and GAS.
I have tried not to change the binary, but for my next version ( 2.0 ) I am
changing some of the kernel names, hence my original post.

> I have this "reverse engineering" Forth assembler which allows to
> disassemble a file, then generate an exact same image using the
> disassembly. (See my site below.)
> There are no provisions for labels as yet or attaching comment to
> positions in the source, or most importantly, separating code
> from data automatically.
> But I think it wouldn't be too much work to
> make it into a tool that facilitates the generating of an assemblable/
> understandable source.
This sounds good! I was trawling the net the other day for a decent 80x86
dis-assembler. Most were awful!
I will take a look...

> I do have a disassembler for the 6809 that allows accumulation of
> information about a disassembly. This I can make into a specification
> of how a information-accumulating reverse-engineering disassembler
> should behave. This is a sinfull project in its own right.
> Because it is Forth (although no color forth) it can be extended
> to have specific facilities to handle the Huffman strings etc.
I think this could be very useful to dis-assemble the BIOS...

Regards

Howerd