Re: [colorforth] Low res or low color ColorForth

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, John Drake wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Looking at the latest on c.l.f. of people who "just
> can't get ColorForth to run" got me to thinking.
> What about a version of ColorForth that didn't
> require SuperVGA?  So far the only ColorForth programs
> that I've seen that really push the resolution/color
> envelope are the JPEG decoder and the Mandelblot
> viewer.  I'm thinking VGA Mode X (320x240x256) or
> one of the high res EGA modes if resolution is
> more important than color (800x600x16 for example).
> Would making ColorForth run under either of these
> modes be an extreme undertaking?

This is a great idea!
There is a choice between
mode 19   320 by 240 and 256 colors, using a palette register index.
mode 18   640 by 480 and 16 colors, similar but using another
indirection.
I think most any BIOS will work with those standard modes.
I would prefer 640*480*16, if those 16 colors are enough to run
colorforth, but it is slightly more involved.

I know one can write directly in the video memory in text modes
like 0,1,2 and 3, because I have done that for a stand alone Forth.
(And even in Windows XP!). This keeps working after switching
to protected mode.
I presume that the memory in those video modes is equally
standard, but I need to try.

It could not really be very problematic I think.

> Regards,
>
> John M. Drake

        One man-hour to invent,
                One man-week to implement,