Re: [colorforth] DARPA takes aim at IT sacred cows

On Sunday 28 March 2004 01:24 pm, Oninoshiko wrote:
> and how often did you REALLY consider the OSI model? i know when i was

I think this is the point of Billy and some others -- just how often
*does* one consider the 7-layer model?  Fairly rarely, I'd argue.

I know I didn't consider it when working as a network tech, especially
since the TCP/IP model is built on a layered substrate wholly
independent of the OSI model.  I did consider it (briefly) when coming
up with my own system.  I then discarded any notion of it for the
benefit of the mental exercise -- given no prior knowledge, how would I
create my own system of networking?

Sometimes, as the very existance of Forth has shown over and over again,
starting over from scratch, with a blank piece of paper, can prove
enlightening, if not outright beneficial.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II