Re: [colorforth] Is Cfdos's Coloforth asm source code available?

Hi, SRB,

I would be interested in finding out if you have any problems running
Peter Appelman's nasm code found at Tim Neitz's site.

http://www.dnd.utwente.nl/%7Etim/colorforth/

The most current code to try will be under the mtcf ( multi-tasking
colorForth ) version 0.9. That's a very cool implementation, imho.

You'll find Peter's .asm files under smallfont.

For me, the code works, but will not save back to disk. That's the
only reason I didn't use Tim's mtcf for my chesses.
I started a line by line comparison, ( Terry masm, Peter nasm ) but
have abandoned this task for other projects. I hope to return to it
very soon.

also...
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:31:55 -0400, srbstar <srbstar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Is Cfdos's Colorforth assembler source code available?

Howerd will prob'ly answer for himself, but knowing how busy he is, I
thought I'd share with you his answers to similar questions that I
asked him.

> I mean the versions of color.asm, boot.asm and gen.asm
> that went into making cfdos3.blk.

> As far as I can tell, the source code is not available
> with cfdos at http://www.inventio.co.uk/cfdos.htm.

At this time, the sources are not available on Howerd's site.
Though, he did not go into great detail as to why he has not included
the asm files yet, I have assumed that we are dealing with a
perfectionist. I'm willing to bet that he has plans to put those files
in proper context, but only when he can devote the necessary time to
the effort.

He has taken an image from my colorForth chess disk and is converting
it to his own code. This I would be very happy to share with anyone,
and hopefully Howerd won't have to do this too many times.

> The site says, "The colorForth binary in blocks 0 to 17 is Terry
> Loveall's code with the new improved floppy strobe."

That's true. Those Terry files that you recieved from me are Terry's
original change files to CM's original code and included the floppy
strobe. I made a few changes to it to get it to run properly on my p4.
First a bug change in the asm of the def of 'less'. less is defined as
js there where it should be jl.
Also, I reversed all the video changes that Terry made. This was very
easy to do as Terry only commented out CM's original code and added
his, line for line, just below each CM line. You might try that
yourself.
Howerd's code changes are more advanced, in an effort to be more ANS
for words that appear both in ANS and colorforth.

> Of all the various Colorforths, for both masm and nasm
> and for other resolutions and floppy drivers, Cfdos is the only
> one that I can get to run.  I have not had success with the nasm
> version of the Terry code from:
> http://personalwebs.oakland.edu/~maslicke/colorforth/,
> nor with Terry's 800x600 masm code. So, I'd like to have the
> source to Cfdos to work with....Or maybe I'll thrash some more
> on one of the above.
>
> Any help...?
> Regards,
> srb

I hope you are sucessfull and I will help in anyway I can. I would be
very interested in reading your report of the challenge. I imagine
hundreds or even thousands of others would be too. Congrat's on your
sucsesses so far!  :)

--
Ray St. Marie
Rastm2 At users dot sourceforge dot net