Re: [colorforth] Re: A logged conversation that amounts to an editor tutor for the

Hello, Howerd.

I'm hoping this e-mail is finding you and yours heathy and happy!

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:47:57 -0000, Howerd Oakford
<howerd.oakford@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Ray,
Hi

> I tried out your latest chess software - it boots on my laptop but I cannot
> save to the floppy.
You know what Howerd, I have the same trouble, not being able to use
"save" or "0 0 1 writes", for that matter, when using Peter Appelman's
NASM build as found on Tim Neitz's site, and used in Tim's
multitasking ColorForth, mtcf.blk version .0901. I so wish I could
figure this problem out. Alas this will take much research on my part
as I am a hobbiest with out formal assembler training. -- Randall
Hyde, here come I !  ( refers to "Art of Assembler" by Randal Hyde at
Webster.com )

> This means that I will can only edit it at weekends, when I am at home and
> can use my PC.
Ok, I am not in any great hurry anyway, and applaud your dilligance. I
can only imagine your effort expands the reach of colorForth to the
greater programming community.

> Where did you get the original colorForth from? It is not exactly the same
> as cfchuck.blk, even though the checksums are the same. I think this means
> that the video address is different.
When you mention cfchuck.blk I imagine you speak to the code included
with colorForth.com on ChipChuck's site. I use a version of that code
as hacked by Terry Loveall. I have made some changes to the code and
will send to you directly my hacked files of the Terry Loveall version
that I have used to be successfull on this HP/Compaq Pentium4.

> Your code runs ( without being able to save ) on my laptop, but cfchuck.blk
> does not.
This means we are closer to a solution to both problems, I think -- I hope . ;-)
As I said, in the past, I have been sucessfull with the version of
Terry's (masm)  code that I hacked -- can not "save" with Appelman's
(nasm) -- have not been able to boot Oakford ( yours : - ) )   and
have not tryed Mark Slicker's ( unknown )  code , yet, all on the
Pentium4 from HP\Compaq ( don't laugh-- it was very cheap to purchase
:- ) ) ..

> I have just uploaded a new cfdos3.blk to my website. You have to download
> just that file - it is not in any of the zips. It has the "colorforth
> explorer" application listing program.
I will try that, Thank you.  I may have to code it into a working
colorforth and I don't see that as too much of a problem, so long as I
understand what needs to be done to port it over.

Still, I have not been able to run any of your builds on this P4. I
have gotten an old Pentium 1 out of the my garage and am trying to get
it to boot colorforth. So far the p1 will run enth-flux, but not any
of the colorForths I have tried. Thou, one of them looks promissing as
the screen becomes full of weird symbols, which I take to mean that
the video buffer is addressed incorrectly.

It ( the P1 i'm talking about but the p4 does too )  does boot your
PCI testing software -- YEAH! -- and I will use that this week to
diagnose my problem on the p1.

> If you can find a machine that it runs on ( its has the same boot code as
> the earlier version ) I would like to hear you comments.
I will be trying your new blk code over the next hour, I would be
honored to comment. Please, keep in mind the perspective that I am a
novice hobbiest, with much more time on my hands for research than
experiance.  So, anything I might say may need to be temperered by
your more experianced talent.

> Sorry if I am slow replying to emails - I only get home at the weekend.
Alas, spoken the problem of the working programmer\experimental scientist. :-)
Think of me as a fan and you as the Rock Star, and you'll understand
that I would wait for a very long time for your valued input. : - )

> Regards
>
> Howerd  8^)

All the best,

Ray St. Marie
Rastm2 At users dot sourceforge dot net
Rastm2 AT aol dot com | Ray.StMarie AT gmail dot com
Raystm2 in  irc.freenode.net /join #c4th #c4th-ot #forth #retro