Re: [colorforth] Re: I got Terry's file's j-i-t.

Hi Luis, and Hi List

Great to hear from you. Be interested in hearing how your
colorForth-ing is coming.

The files, and Terry's site that hosts them, has been found, so no
need to host them. :)

http://www.modest-proposals.com/c4index.htm

About mid way down the page.
Terry is a fascinating writer as well as a programmer and a perusal of
his entire site is recommended.

In other news to the list....

cfws -- colorForth workstation.

Tim Neitz has one.
I have built a Pentium 1 dedicated colorForth workstation. I have
found a version of colorForth that works on the system, but the
display is still blind. It has been suggested to me that I purchase a
matroxGS400 video card to solve this problem. So, I am in the market
for one. Yet, I would still like to solve the video problem with the
existing motherboard chip set if possible.
Enth-flux works fine, and I think I can compare the two and hack
colorforth to do what enth-flux does.

Colorforth chesses

I have written two chess games for colorforth, so far. They are named
c4thches and c4thches2.
They can be seen at
http://thin.bespin.org/c4th/
a site hosted by a friend I met in chat room #c4th-ot on irc.freenode.net.

The relevant files there ( in order of appearance)
1). c4thche2.bak.html -- a back up of the first version in colorforth html
2). c4thche2.html the first version of the 2 chesses as prototype as a
striped version of the above file for ease of reading
3). c4thches.img a complete colorforth image based on my modifications
to Terry Loveall's version to run on a brand new off the shelf
HP\Compaq Presario Pentium 4
4). c4thches2-2.html -- the current version of the code, and all the
relevant documentation to run it.
5). c4thches2-2.jpg a screen shot of the graphical version of the game
with custom Icons as pieces
6). c4thchess.jpg a screen shot of the graphical version of the game
as it appeared in prototype.
7). colorforth.css a cascading style sheet to get the html files to
display in glorious colorforth color.

I discovered c4thches2, as I wanted a way to use chess algebra to
document the graphical c4thchess and for it to include being able to
branch out for experimenting with other moves not taken.

As it turns out, c4thches2 is a perfectly good stand alone chess game
in and of itself. This is what I am calling the smallest-simplest
chess operating system in the world, until I am proved wrong. It uses
the editors cursor to play the game. See the html above to get what I
mean by that.

Also, included is an example of an idea I got from reading Jef Raskin,
that I am calling nextblock-autoCopyAdvance. When used with the
c4thches2 board in the block, this is the next level up from the
simplest chess OS.
nextblock can be used as a programming tool by itself.

Together with the c4thches graphical display and the code I added to
block 18, you get a more complete chess game.
Easy to use and simple to code yourself on a whim.
Things to add in the future -
-using jump tables and arrays
   to create the icons,
   for game persistence,
   instead of the 33 variables I'm using now.
- communication between distant players
- better looking icons :)
- AI player.

The public #c4th logs

I named the chesses c4th's because I developed them in the publicly
logged #c4th chat channel, and they are  documented in the logs
generously hosted by Herkamire.com http://herkamire.com/c4thlogs/
Please remember that the log is a public forum, your sensibilities may
be at risk. Also, there are many log-days that have no entries because
we typically use the log for on-topic conversations only and use
#c4th-ot for everything else, including but not limited to,
colorforth. :)

Also to be found in the logs....
-- most recently is Tim Neitz's hosted formal discussion of the use of
Jump Tables and Arrays as implemented in colorForth.
-- teaching someone how to use the editor.
-- c4thches2 development
-- many little blurbs about many colorForth topics.
-- several off topic things

This resource is expected to become even more valuable over time as
the #c4th and #c4th-ot channels on irc.freenode.net continue to draw
more and more people.

Jump Tables and Arrays in ColorForth

Tim Neitz's hosted chat was very well done, and Tim is to be praised
for his work in multitasking colorforth and for this hosted chat. He
has provided examples that are designed to be easy to follow.

We plan to do more of these chats in the future on many topics.
Your topic suggestions are appreciated. You can send them to me or to
this list.

Thanks, and good luck with colorforth.
Raymond Arthur St. Marie II.

--