Re: [colorforth] successful group programming

John please provide the link, because the one i joined ( colorforth
group in googlegroups ) has only one member, me? :)

Ray

On Apr 9, 2005 8:42 PM, John A. Peters <japeters@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I can set up a website for that purpose, anybody else interested?
>
> John A. Peters writes:
> I have started two very successful group programming projects in the past.
>
> Managing a group programming effort has been more successful when hosted by
> yahoogroups than on a wiki or at Usenet. Why is that? IMHO the Wiki's I have
> tried have felt clunky. Usenet has a fair amount of off topic stuff and
> there are many many threads in one place.
>
> I have opened a new Google group, here is the intro.
>
> Colorforth group programming is encouraged.  There is room to upload and
> share files. The current Access level is Public -Anyone can read the
> archives. Anyone can join, but only members can post messages.
>
> Each new member may later select a subscription type.
> a) No Email  -  read this group on the web
> b) Email  -  send each message as it arrives
> c) Abridged Email  -  send a summary of new activity each day
> d) Digest Email  -  send all new messages in a single daily email
>
> I summarize -
> PRO
> 1) All the posts are kept in one place the matter what subject matter is
> used.
> 2) It is easier to search the archives.
> 3) There are facilities for storing and sharing files.
> 4) Posting is limited to identifiable persons or at least screen names.
> 5) Most all the posts are on topic.
> 6) You can have daily summarys or get all messages in real time.
> 7) Access can be restricted, but this has not been found necessary.
> 8) Email addresses can be enrolled for a trial subscription.
> 9) It is very easy to opt out.
>
> CON
> 1) You have to subscribe to yahoo to post.
> 2) There are no threads, just subject lines. (Pro: It is a thread in it's
> self)
>
> Those of you who have been brave enough to leave your email address will be
> subscribed to a trial version.  I assume those in the list below may have a
> spam filter, since your email addrss are listed in the colorforth group at
> C.L.F. and there for it is ok to list you here, but you may have to add
> colorforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to your white list, or you may miss out.
>
> howerd.oakford@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> pattenre@xxxxxxxxxxx
> chipchuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> maslicke@xxxxxxxxxxx
> albert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> chris.r.walton@xxxxxxxxx
>
> These persons will have to subscribe if you want to post.
>
> Roger Levy
> Mark Slicker
> Dr. Nick Maroudas
> Frederic Dubois
> Ray StMarie
> Terry Loveall
>
> --

Ray St. Marie
Rastm2ATusersDOTsourceforgeDOTnet
Ray.StMarieATgmailDOTcom and ATsbcglobalDOTnet
Ray_stmarieAThotmailDOTcom
Raystm2 and rastm2 in Internet Relay Chat (irc)
/connect  irc.freenode.net Busness discussion: /join #biz
ColorForth: /join #c4th #c4th-ot Forth: /join #retro #forth #concatenative
Programming: /join #python #lisp #scheme #asm