Re: [colorforth] Sleepless Nights ColorForth Wiki

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Albert van der Horst wrote:

The reason I installed the web server is not to serve a lot of
information, but to demonstrate Forth as a web scripting language.

My remark was about making available background information, that is
maybe large, but only occasionally used. A high visibility website
would atract more traffic, and my provider might object to that.
Something like an ftp-site where a wiki site can be dumped for backup,
or other largish file could be exchanged.
I could reserve a partition, or a disk. I can't see much sense in
having a separate machine, unless it runs colorforth. (That would be
interesting: a colorforth machine, serving colorforth information over
the web. I guess a formidable project.)

Yes, this is what I meant by a dedicated machine, a machine running colorForth serving pages about colorForth.

I don't see serving web pages as so formidable. I've already got down the basics of TCP/IP, I'd be willing to develop the software to serve pages.

To me, it is only logical, if we see colorForth as a valid approach to software development, we should take the next step and move away from Unix based software to handle basic tasks like serving web pages and hosting files. To me, this is very much in reach.

Another reason to do not too much colorforth hosting on private
machines:
If you look at Chuck Moores cf.html, you see only links that are
stable for more than three years now. Chuck refrained from links that
need constant updating. It would be nice if we find a home that is
sufficiently stable. Preferably this would be a named domain
(www.colorforthfans.org) that could be migrated to an other host if
need be. That would be a link that is worth Chuck's while to add to
his site.
Then we need sponsoring at least for the domain name.

Chuck has refrained from updating his site, yes. I don't know how much that has to with stability of the links.

Mark